Chippewas hold off Huskies for wild triple OT victory

CMU 34, NIU 28

Junior running back Devon Spalding runs through a Northern Illinois tackler during CMU's game on Oct. 15, 2016. | Courtesy of NIU Photography

In an up-and-down game, Central Michigan football escaped DeKalb with a 34-28 triple overtime victory against Northern Illinois. 

After senior kicker Brian Eavey missed two field goal attempts that would have given CMU the victory, the Chippewas' passing game took matters into its own hands — scoring two touchdowns during the three overtime periods to win the game.

Junior tight end Tyler Conklin was on the receiving end of the game-winning touchdown pass from quarterback Cooper Rush on CMU's first play following a blocked NIU field goal attempt.

"It’s a play we’ve been practicing all week," Conklin said. "I saw the safety jump outside a little bit. It was a choice route and I took him to the middle and Cooper threw a great ball."

The senior quarterback, Rush, struggled throughout the first three quarters, throwing two interceptions and failing to complete a pass during the third quarter. He turned things around in the fourth quarter and overtime periods, throwing for 129 yards and two touchdowns.

Saturday's victory marks the third consecutive victory against NIU — a team that has lost just seven Mid-American Conference games since 2010. CMU's record stands at 5-2 and 2-1 in MAC play heading into next week's road game against Toledo (5-1, 2-0 MAC).

“Certain teams match up with certain teams better in terms of style of play," head coach John Bonamego said. "We knew coming in here that this was going to be a physical football game. You have to prepare for that physically to know that that’s the type of game it’s going to be. If not, they’ll just run over you. They’ll impose their will on you."

Junior running back Devon Spalding was able to pass the 100-yard mark running the ball for the second game in a row with a 22 carry, 124 yard and one touchdown performance. Senior running back Jahray Hayes compiled 105 yards and found the end zone once as well. It's the first time CMU has had two 100-plus yard rushers since Nov. 1, 2014 — 22 games ago.

“To have one good (running back) is important. If you’ve got two good ones that you can play, rotate through there, it just makes things that much easier," Bonamego said. "We had good success on the ground which kept us in third-and-manageable. That’s more the complementary style that we feel like we need to have going down the stretch."

After taking a 14-7 lead into halftime, the Chippewas allowed NIU to creep back into the game, surrendering touchdowns on each of the Huskies' drives that followed a CMU score.

With the score tied 21-21 with 16 seconds remaining, Eavey missed a 33-yard field goal attempt and NIU took a knee on its ensuing possession to send the game to overtime.

Eavey had another opportunity to win the game in the first overtime, but missed a 35-yard attempt, making him three-for-nine on the season.

“I’ve been in that situation before with kickers," Bonamego said. "That’s why at the end of the game we’re really playing for the touchdown because I don’t want it to come down to a field goal because anything can happen and that’s not us. That’s just football."

How it happened

CMU scored the first points of the game on an 11-yard pass from Rush to junior fullback Trevor Thomas, his first reception of the season.

The touchdown came after junior cornerback Josh Cox intercepted his third pass of the season, giving the ball to the offense in the red zone.

NIU responded on its next possession with a 75-yard touchdown drive, scoring on a pass that receiver Christia Blake took out of CMU junior cornerback Amari Coleman's hands in the end zone.

The Chippewas scored a touchdown at the end of the first half to regain a 14-7 lead on a drive led by senior running back Jahray Hayes. On the drive, Hayes accounted for 30 of the 48 yards needed.

The Huskies evened up the score at 14-14 in the third quarter on an 11-yard touchdown pass that finished off a 13-play, 80 yard drive.

Junior running back Devon Spalding gave CMU a 21-14 lead on a 58-yard touchdown run late in the fourth quarter, but the Chippewas allowed the Huskies to score on a 53-yard run in its ensuing possession to tie the score.

CMU scored the first touchdown of overtime on a pass from Rush to junior wide receiver Corey Willis. NIU responded with a 13-yard touchdown pass of its own to tie the game 28-28 before falling 34-28.

Before giving up the game-winning catch by Conklin, CMU forced the Huskies to kick a field goal on fourth down in the third overtime, but the kick was blocked by senior defensive lineman and team captain Kelby Latta.

What's next

CMU plays its second consecutive road game next Saturday against Toledo (5-1, 2-0 MAC). Kickoff is scheduled for noon.