Outside hitters use focus, power to lead volleyball

volleyball

Junior outside hitter Jordan Bueter demonstrates an outside hit on Oct. 4 at McGuirk Arena.

Each of the Central Michigan volleyball team's top four outside hitters can launch a volleyball between 50-70 miles per hour on average. That makes them an imposing matchup for opponents.

In volleyball, outside hitters are the top scoring options on the court. In many cases they are a setter's go-to hitter, and are often the players called upon to record the most kills.

CMU's outside hitters are juniors Jordan Bueter, Jessica Meichtry, Taylor Robertson and sophomore Laura Wilson. 

Over the past 20 matches, the unit has assisted in giving the Chippewas the sixth best hitting percentage in the Mid-American Conference — .204 with 12.49 kills per set.

Meichtry, a redshirt junior outside hitter, said she attributes the group's success to staying disciplined and focused.

"For us, its just focusing on the basics," Meichtry said. "When we get a good first ball and have everyone in system, it really stresses out the other side, and I think that really helps us terminate on the outside."

While recording kills would seem like the primary objective of outside hitters, offense isn't the only responsibility in the position's job description. Outside hitters also contribute defensively, where they are expected to block incoming attacks from the opposing team.

Head volleyball coach Mike Gawlik believes the outside hitters are progressing and doing well limiting unforced errors.

"We're managing our errors," Gawlik said. "When we make teams have to earn twenty plus points against us without us giving away too many freebies, we're finding that we're a tough team to beat."

Here is a look at the rest of CMU's most successful positional group through the first three quarters of the season.

Junior Jordan Bueter

Since joining the team in 2014, the 6-foot Indiana native has been a key player for the Chippewas.

Bueter has accumulated a team-high 223 kills. Bueter also leads the Mid-American Conference with 32 aces on the season.  

"A lot of good players are so focused on doing other people's jobs," Bueter said. "Something important for our team is we each focus on doing our job and doing our job well. When we come together as a team, that's what makes us so unstoppable."

Bueter's job also extends outside of offense. On the defensive side, Bueter has recorded 200 digs, second on the team behind freshman defensive specialist Megan Kern.

Junior Jessica Meichtry 

After signing with CMU, Meichtry redshirted her first year in 2013. Since then, the 6-foot Wisconsin native was selected to the 2015 Academic All-MAC Team. She recorded 256 kills in 2015 and has 45 so far this season. 

"We're just focused on working hard for every single ball," Meichtry said. "We really learned the value of a point or a couple points, and that's really what we want to stress in our gym, the value of one ball.

Sophomore Laura Willson

Willson, the youngest of the four players, joined the team in 2015. Standing at 6-foot-1, North Branch branch native appeared in 18 matches her freshman year, recording 10 aces. 

Wilson has had much more of an impact on the 2016 season, with the fourth most kills on the team at 137. 

Junior Taylor Robertson

Alongside Meichtry, Robertson also redshirted her true-freshman year in 2013. In 2016, Robertson has recorded 160 kills, second only to Bueter. The 6-foot-1 native of Midland also ranks third on the team in blocks with 30 on the season. 

For Robertson, pregame ritual music listening is a must. Her choice of music surprised the rest of the girls.

"I have to listen to heavy metal in my headphones," Robertson said. 

Skillet is her favorite metal artist.