Late goal lifts CMU to victory in last regular season match

CMU 1, EMU 0

img_8908
Junior midfielder Meghan Sweeney, right, keens the ball during the game against Ohio on Oct. 16 at the Soccer / Lacrosse Complex.

With time running out on the Central Michigan soccer team’s regular season Thursday, it appeared the Chippewas would be playing in their sixth overtime game in a row.

An unlikely goal changed that.

Freshman midfielder Marle Bringard scored in the 78th minute to give the Chippewas a 1-0 win over Eastern Michigan. It is their 14th win of the season.

It was Bringard’s second goal on the season.

After the game, Bringard said closing the season on a winning note energizes the team heading into the Mid-American Conference Tournament. 

“Being a freshman, I am very excited for our upcoming game. I think our whole team is,” Bringard said. “It gives us good momentum moving forward and we are ready to go.”

After a slow first half for both teams, CMU came out firing in the second half, leading 15-8 in shots on goal in the game.

The Chippewas were finally rewarded with Bringard’s late goal. 

“We had a goal to get the first goal of the game and stay on top so we didn't have to play another game in overtime like we've had to so much lately,” she said. “It felt good to help us prevent that from happening again.”

Eastern Michigan showed some fight toward the end of the game, generating multiple scoring chances. All went wide or were stopped by senior goaltender Kristen Knutson.

None bigger than her save in the 87th minute to keep the game from going to overtime and earn her 9th shutout of the season.

Head coach Peter McGahey said his team closed out the season with the same effort they have put out all year. He said he hopes to see that continue into the tournament.

“We displayed the character and grit that we have shown all season long today,” McGahey said. “The late goal and keeping them off of the board all game is big for us and a good way to close out what we call the second season.”

The 3rd-seeded Chippewas (14-2-3, 6-2-3 MAC) come home to open the MAC Tournament on Sunday against Buffalo for the first playoff game at CMU's Soccer/Lacrosse Complex in the stadium's history. The game begins at 1 p.m.

McGahey said he understands how big this is not, only for the team but for the soccer program itself.

“It's two things: One, we need to restart and recover. Secondly, (we need to) get set by reflecting on the season, but realize we have to come in with a clean slate for the start of our one game season and be energized for a home playoff game,” he said.