Volleyball loses to BGSU in straight sets, drops third consecutive match

dsc_0283

Senior setter Kathia Sanchez jumps to set the ball to her teammates on Oct. 15, 2016 in McGuirk Arena. 

In Saturday's 3-0 loss to Bowling Green, Central Michigan volleyball head coach Mike Gawlik said his team's struggles aren't entirely represented by the box score, but their ability to "go all in."

The Chippewas lost to the Falcons in straight sets, 25-14, 25-20, 25-18, at McGuirk Arena Saturday night. 

"I feel like if anything that's where we're a little bit shy of where we want to be," Gawlik said. "We still have reservations about how much we want to push in. I'm urging them to push all in mentally, physically, emotionally and really dive in to see what we're capable of doing."

For CMU (8-12, 2-6), the loss marks the third consecutive match lost in straight sets. The Chippewas have now lost their previous nine sets.

"We need to be willing to make some changes with the way we go about our business. That's going to take our juniors and seniors to step up and and drive this ship in a different direction," Gawlik said.

Freshman Jayla Wesley led the offensive attack with 7 kills and a .700 hitting percentage. 

"Attacking-wise, I did feel confident in myself," Wesley said. "But there are still areas I can capitalize on like covering and blocking, but we can only go forward from here."

CMU had a difficult time getting the ball to hit the floor on the opposite side against the libero play of Bowling Green. The Falcons' senior libero Madeline Garda picked 18 digs on the night. She is currently ranked first in the NCAA  with 462 digs this season. 

The Chippewas travel to Buffalo on Friday and Akron on Saturday. Matches begin at 6 p.m. at Buffalo and 5 p.m. at Akron.