Women's hoops to host preseason WNIT

In week two of its Preseason Women's National Invitation Tournament, the Central Michigan women's basketball team will play host to Furman, Elon and Eastern Washington this weekend at McGuirk Arena.

EWU (0-1) will take on Elon (0-1) on Friday at 4:30 p.m. in the first game. The Chippewas (0-1) will face the Paladins of Furman (0-1) for CMU's home opener at 7 p.m. Friday. 

The four teams return Saturday, with Furman playing in the 4:30 p.m. slot against either EWU or Elon. CMU will play at 7 p.m. regardless if its results on Friday.

After CMU dropped its season opener 107-47 against No. 1 Notre Dame last Friday, head coach Sue Guevara said her team will have "short-term memory" heading into Friday's matchup.

"They're the number one team in the country for a reason," Guevara said of the Irish. "That's behind us. When you struggle to score as badly as we struggled to score, it's going to be a long night. We have three games in five days, so the importance of our bench is going to be critical."

She highlighted junior guard Aleah Swary for her 15 points and three boards off the bench and junior forward Tinara Moore for her 10 points and three assists. 

Sophomore forward Reyna Frost added two points for the Chippewas and grabbed 11 rebounds. Sophomore guard Presley Hudson finished with four points and four assists.

For the upcoming home games, Guevara said she hopes to see her team communicate with each other on and off the court.

"If there is one thing on this team that is our Achilles heel, it's our lack of communication," she said. "That has to get better. I told my coaching staff that I didn't want anyone talking (to the players.) I want to see if this team, the five that were out there, if they will start to talk to one another."

About McKenzie Sanderson

McKenzie Sanderson is the Sports Editor at Central Michigan Life. She is a senior at Central ...

View Posts by McKenzie Sanderson →