Football looks to snap losing streak against Miami (OH)

Senior defensive back Winslow Chapman, right, blocks a punt during the game against Kent State on Oct. 29 at Kelly / Shorts Stadium.

Following Western Michigan's 52-20 win over Ball State on Tuesday, the Central Michigan football team will be playing the rest of its season to gain bowl eligibility.

CMU has been mathematically eliminated from being able to represent the Mid-American Conference West Division in the MAC Championship Game, but would become bowl eligible with a victory against Miami (OH) on Friday.

After getting off to an 0-6 start, the Redhawks have won three games in a row and are in contention for the MAC East title.

"They're very sound in everything they do on both sides of the ball," head coach John Bonamego said. 

Miami (OH) has struggled on offense throughout the season, currently sitting in 10th place in total offense and 11th in points scored. However, the Redhawks have picked up the offensive productivity since sophomore quarterback Gus Ragland took over starting duties at the start of the winning streak.

"(Ragland) has really given them a spark," Bonamego said. "He's really efficient and doesn't make a lot of mistakes, which is what I think what plaguing them at the beginning of the year. I've been impressed with him."

The Redhawks's defense is the best in the MAC in total offense allowed and are surrendering 27.1 points per game to this point.

"They're talented and have a good group of players," Bonamego said. "They don't get themselves out of position a lot and they play with a lot of effort."

CMU will be forced to play the game without its leading rusher, junior running back Devon Spalding, who is out with a shoulder injury. Spalding is averaging a career high 5.4 yards per carry and has ran for 652 yards this season with three touchdowns.

The health of junior center Austin Doan is also in question this week. Doan missed the game against Kent State due to injury and is considered doubtful.

Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. in Oxford, Ohio and will be televised on CBS Sports Network.