Rapid Reaction: EMU 26, CMU 21

Prior to Tuesday night’s contest against Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan football had not won a game in which it trailed at halftime.

The trend continued Tuesday night in Ypsilanti, as EMU was able to score a touchdown with 21 seconds remaining in the game to steal a 26-21 victory from the Chippewas.

The loss drops CMU’s record to 6-6 and 3-5 in Mid-American Conference play. EMU’s record improves to 7-5 (4-4 MAC).

A 41-yard touchdown run by junior running back Devon Spalding on fourth down gave CMU its first lead of the day with less than three minutes remaining in the game. Spalding missed the last two games due to injury. He finished with three touchdowns on the night.

The Eagles were able to drive down the field and score on a 24-yard touchdown pass that took the lead with just 21 seconds remaining. The play was set up by a fourth-and-six conversion, giving EMU a fresh set of downs.

The Eagles jumped out to an early 7-0 lead on a 50-yard rushing touchdown by running back Blake Banham, who set a career-best with 120 yards rushing and a touchdown.

EMU added to its lead when quarterback Brogan Roback completed a 42-yard touchdown pass to give his team a 14-0 edge in the second quarter.

Spalding scored CMU’s first points of the game on a one-yard touchdown run in the second quarter to bring the score to 14-7.

Two third quarter field goals gave EMU a 20-7 lead going into the fourth quarter.

Spalding scored his second touchdown on a five-yard touchdown run to cut the lead to 20-14.

CMU will have to wait until bowl games are selected to find out if its season is over or not, as teams with six wins are eligible but not guaranteed for a bowl game.