TECH THURSDAY: Even with poor sound quality, Bluetooth earbuds can come in handy

connormug

During my freshman year, I used Bose wired headphones to listen to music, and it was a disaster. I learned then that when you walk to class, cords from your headphones shouldn’t tie you down.

That’s where Bluetooth wireless headphones came in handy. They free up movement, and if you’re using earbuds, they hide discretely in your ears. And with the absence of a headphone jack in new iPhones, Bluetooth options are imperative.

However, there’s one thing you need about this changing wireless market: Buying truly wireless earbuds, which lack any cord whatsoever, is a premature investment of your hard-earned money.

Performance of these new types of earbuds is too inconsistent for me to comfortably recommend, so until the technology gets better, stick to corded Bluetooth earbuds for now.

If you really want to take the leap into Bluetooth headphones, here are three great options for you to choose from, starting with the best wireless earbuds currently on the market.

The best earbuds for the price are the Jaybird X2 earbuds. They are absolute beasts. Whether you use them while walking or during the hardest of workouts, these earbuds will not fail you. For the modest price tag, you get a volume and song select control, which also houses a microphone for wireless voice calls.

These buds also tote sweat resistance, six tips and three sets of stabilizing wings. These wings situate the bud in your ear comfortably while offering more than enough stability during rigorous activity. These are an all around great choice for newcomers hopping on the wireless bandwagon.

The second-best product comes from Zivigo, a generally unknown manufacturer. You might not know who they are, but they rock the mid-range budget earbud market. At under $50, you cannot go wrong with their IPX7 water resistant earbuds. They, too, sport a mic controller and wing tips to keep them in your ears. This is a great option for users who want a compromise between audio and a budget price tag.

Our third contender comes to us from a company called TaoTronics. These sweat-proof earbuds are a perfect option and are a steal for under $25. The battery life is going to be a fraction shorter than the previous two, and from personal use, can’t blast sound like them either. Nevertheless, the sound of money in your wallet will sound just just as nice.

If you’re just entering the Bluetooth market, or need a set of buds to chuck into your backpack, this is the ultimate budget saver set for any user.