CM Life chosen 2016 'College Newspaper of the Year' by Michigan Press Association

logo

Central Michigan Life was named 2016 "College Newspaper of the Year" in the Michigan Press Association's "Better Newspaper Contest."

Awards were announced Jan. 26 at the MPA's annual conference in Grand Rapids.

CM Life, the student-run news organization that covers Central Michigan University and the surrounding campus community, received 29 awards in the contest's 17 categories. Eleven of those were first place awards. The MPA's annual contest received 625 entries submitted by 13 Michigan college newspapers this year.

"I am ecstatic that we were able to continue CM Life's long-running trend of producing high-quality journalism," said 2015-16 Editor-in-Chief Malachi Barrett. "Though the collection of awards and recognition is not our pursuit, it is impressive that this college media company continues to attract it."

Barrett noted the significance of his staff taking first place in nearly every significant category.

"Clearly the fourth floor of Moore Hall remains the place to be for young students who want to hone their craft and receive state-wide recognition that could open the door to exciting opportunities," Barrett said.

CM Life photographers swept categories for Best Photographer, Feature Photo and Sports Photo — earning awards in first through third place.

CM Life staff members received first place individual awards in the following categories:

• Best Photographer: Rich Drummond
  • Best Writer: Ben Solis
  • Column-Review or Blog-News or Sports: Sydney Smith
  • Editorial: Malachi Barrett
  • Feature Photo: Samantha Madar
  • Investigative Reporting: Sydney Smith
  • Multimedia Reporting: Mary Lavictor
  • News Story: Adrian Hedden
  • Non-Front Page Design: Michael Farris
  • Special Advertising Section
  • Sports Photo: Rich Drummond

"I want to thank everyone who worked with us, from bold and motivated leadership team to the newcomers who showed up, bought-in and helped provide the daily coverage that is the lifeblood of our editorial content," Barrett said. I also would like to thank the students of Central Michigan University for continuing to support and engage with CM Life — without you there would be no college newspaper."

The 2017 Michigan Press Association College Newspaper Contest opens Aug. 1, 2017.

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →