Fraternity becomes fully initiated in Greek Community

Phi Delta Theta became a fully initiated fraternity on campus, gaining recognition as full members of the Greek community at Central Michigan University.

Phi Delta Theta has been on campus since November 2015, but is now considered fully initiated. To become a fully initiated chapter, the fraternity must prove to be an important addition to campus and the national organization, which includes high philanthropic involvement with the ALS Foundation, said Walled Lake junior Connor Byrne, chapter historian.

“The experience of chartering Phi Delta Theta at CMU was one I’ll never forget,” said Charlotte junior and chapter President Adam Fisher. “Being the president, I can continue to be involved and help lay the foundation of Phi Delta Theta for many years to follow.”

Byrne said the colony had to present its case for initiation to CMU and Phi Delta Theta in the form of a petition. They showed documentation of their history and actions on campus, as well as their mission statements and the progress the colony has made.

“We are no longer the new guys,” Byrne said. “We will enter this semester with new goals after being recognized on campus.”

Byrne said having a strong value for CMU’s campus is the most important factor for the fraternity as an organization.

“Making our case (to become fully initiated) was a matter of creating a (positive) image for ourselves on campus,” Byrne said. “We wanted to start building a fraternity on campus that shared common values between its members. We wanted to show CMU, as well as our national organization, that we were ready for this next step.”

The national Phi Delta Theta mission extolls, “The pinnacle of fraternal and professional societies, centered on the potential of each brother, the unquenchable thirst for personal development and the lifelong values of friendship, sound learning and rectitude.”

CMU’s Phi Delta Theta chapter has held multiple fundraisers to support the ALS foundation. In Fall 2016, it held the first "Fight for ALS Magic Show."

The fraternity participated in “Greeks Clean the Streets,” where the Greek community volunteers to remove garbage from the streets of Mount Pleasant. The event helped contribute to supporting research for the advancement of ALS treatment, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.

Because Gehrig, who died from ALS, was a brother of Phi Delta Theta, the fraternity’s national philanthropy cause is supporting the ALS Foundation. ALS is a disease that attacks the nervous system, weakens muscles and impacts physical function, making it hard to perform essential daily tasks.

“It was very easy to see that everybody was dedicated and wanted to achieve something greater than anything else that was done on campus,” said A.J. Firsht, Howell sophomore and public relations chair.

The chapter aspires to improve the organization and expand their work in all areas, both locally and nationally.

“Being a founding father was a once in a lifetime opportunity,” Fisher said. “It’s an awesome feeling to help create something that not only I will enjoy being a part of, but those who will follow after in the years to come.”

The fraternity members also strive to help their fellow brothers reach their personal goals and become the best version of themselves, Byrne and Fisher said.

“My experience with this organization has been really fantastic,” Bryne said. “The cultivation of friendship among its members, the acquirement of a high degree of mental culture, and the attainment of a high standard of morality are values that represent Phi Delta Theta 100 percent.”

Connor Byrne is a page designer for Central Michigan Life.