Students think new Biosciences Building feels like an ‘upgrade’

While students at Central Michigan University tend to utilize the Charles V. Park Library and Bovee University Center for studying on campus, there is now an alternative spot many are expressing a preference for.

After its grand opening in September 2016, the new Biosciences Building at CMU is fully functioning as an academic hall. It's doors opened in early January for classes and research for the first time. Now that students have had two full weeks to experience the building and its features, many say they are impressed with the modern structure.

Students can be found dispersed across the four floors, studying at tables or working in research labs. They are attracted to the building’s aesthetic features — such as the green roof and patio, a “living wall” covered in plants and an aquarium exhibiting Michigan fish that stretches across the first floor.

The generous amount of space available for students is what attracts Alicia Weeks to the Biosciences Building.

The Stanwood senior is a biology student and supplemental instructor for introductory biology classes at CMU. She said the new building feels like an upgrade from the other halls on campus where most of her classes have been located.

“I think it’s really awesome — it has a lot of space.” Weeks said. “(Especially) compared to Brooks Hall, which used to be the biology building, (where) there isn’t a lot of places to sit and do stuff — there’s maybe four tables. In here there is so much room, and there’s all of the rooms upstairs.”

Albion senior Jennifer Nelson, a biomedical sciences student, is currently taking two classes in the Biosciences Building and enjoys spending her on-campus downtime there.

”I like all the seating,” Nelson said. “I can just come in here and study instead of having to go to the library — it’s pretty quiet, too. I feel like in Brooks I usually have to sit on the floor (leaning) against the wall or something, so this is nice.”

The 169,000 square-foot building was intended to give students and faculty expansive opportunities for research and laboratory use, according to CMU's website. The need for the Biosciences Building was brought on by the overwhelming number of biology majors that continues to climb.

However, many students, including Ada freshman Peter Koukios, are using the space to study without the pursuit of a science-based degree.

Koukios has yet to decide on a major at CMU, but said he will most likely study in the Biosciences Building more than the library this semester — in part because it is closer to his dorm, but also because he recognizes the building’s majesty, despite his limited experience in academic halls.

Koukios said the building exceeded his expectations and has a modernized structure and atmosphere.

“It’s a really unique building and there are a lot of resources in here — I’ve never been in a building like (it),” Koukios said. “I have my bio lecture in here and I’ve never been in that big of a lecture hall. It has two giant screens and fits over 200 people — it’s very interesting.” 

About Emma Dale

Editor-in-Chief Emma Dale is a junior from Grand Haven double majoring in journalism and political ...

View Posts by Emma Dale →