Bark for Life seeks participants, volunteers

life

Cancer affects our beloved canine companions too, and Lacey Johnson is looking for volunteers to help raise awareness and money for cancer research, while showcasing the role dogs play with the illness.

In association with Relay for Life, Bark for Life aims to “recognize what the canines give (to) people with cancer,” by recognizing the powerful impact pets have on survivors, Johnson said. She said it’s important to feature both the people and the pets who have struggled with the disease. The Central Michigan University Communications Master’s student is the lead organizer for the event, which will take place from noon to 4 p.m. on April 15 at Hannah's Bark Park in Mission Creek Park.

Johnson said this is the first Bark for Life hosted in Mount Pleasant. In the past, it tended to only reach larger cities.

"The event will begin with a walk on Mission Creek trails near Hannah's Bark Park and afterwards we'll open the event up and have tables for different teams and vendors from the community who do on-site fundraisers,” Johnson said. “In addition to that, we will be planning entertainment and activities such as music and a doggie dress up contest."

Johnson is looking for Bark for Life participants and volunteers who are willing to help set up logistics and finish planning the event.

Money raised will be added to CMU’s or Isabella County’s Relay for Life totals, she said. From there, the funds will contribute to different programs that the American Cancer Society sponsors, such as Look Good, Feel Better, which helps women who have lost their hair during chemo therapy.

Those interested in participating can register a team online at RelayForLife.org Registration is $10 without a dog and $15 with. Individual registration, without a team, is also available. Donations are also accepted for anyone unable to participate.

Johnson encourages anyone interested in volunteering or seeking more information to email her at johns1lv@cmich.edu. More information can be found on the Bark for Life Facebook page at www.facebook.com.barkforlifecmuic