Baseball tops Incarnate Word in first game of four-game series

In the first game of a four-game series against Incarnate Word, Central Michigan picked up its second win of the season by a score of 5-2.

The win improves the Chippewas record to 2-2 overall this season.

"Anytime you can come from behind and get a win, it is always a good thing," said head coach Steve Jaksa. "I just thought we started a little bit slow from an offensive standpoint."

At the end of the fifth inning, UIW led by a score of 2-1 after scoring in the first and fourth innings. 

To lead off the sixth inning, catcher Rob Greenman was walked.

Dazon Cole then reached first base after an error by the UIW first baseman, advancing Greenman to third base. 

Reed Adams followed up by getting a single down the right field line, scoring both Greenman and Cole to take the lead.

CMU extended its lead to 5-2 in the ninth inning when Jason Sullivan batted in Alex Borglin and Daniel Robinson with a single. Sullivan then reached second base on an error by an UIW infielder. 

"We got two big runs in the top of the ninth (inning)," Jaksa said. "That gave us a little cushion."

Adams and Zach Gilles both led CMU with three hits. Jason Sullivan added three RBIs in one hit and four at-bats.

"Adams, Borglin, and Gilles played really well," Jaksa said. "We did some good things but we gave away too many at-bats early."

Sophomore starting pitcher Pat Leatherman, who dropped his first start to East Tennessee State last weekend, played seven innings and finished with 104 pitches in today's game under the lights. Leatherman faced 26 batters and allowed two runs off of four hits.

"I thought Pat Leatherman got better as the game went on," Jaksa said. "He really finished strong and I am really pleased with that."

Junior right-hander Colton Bradley relieved Leatherman going into the eighth inning. Bradley finished with two strikeouts in the ninth inning with no runs let in.

CMU will face UIW in a double-header on Saturday in Daniel Sullivan Field. 

The first game is scheduled to start at 2 p.m.