International students experience ice fishing

International students from CMU had bright smiles all morning as they got to experience ice fishing for the first time. 

Sunday morning it was the Central Michigan bass fishing club team providing the opportunity at Eight Point Lake in Garfield Township.

There were 16 international students from China, India and Saudi Arabia who took on the challenge to wake up at 5:30AM and try something that none of them had ever attempted before.

Despite the warmer weather the past couple of days, the ice was still solid enough for four-wheelers and pickup trucks to drive on.

About an hour into the event junior Suji Bobba from India caught the biggest fish of the day for the international students — a 22 inch, two-pound pike.

Most of the other students caught bluegill, sunfish or perch. But to many of the students it wasn’t about catching the biggest fish, but more about enjoying the moment of each fish they caught.

“I wanted to come here today to think about something other than my grades or family and friends back in China,” said China junior Qi Zhou. “I’ve never gone ice fishing before or ever experienced being on a frozen lake. I’m glad I took the time to come here today.”

Most of the students found out about this event from an email sent out to them. Other students said they heard about it from a friend.

Saudi Arabia sophomore Lucy Alabdullah said he loves CMU and feels he has always been incorporated by the university such as with this event hosted by the bass fishing club.

Event organizer and former president of the bass fishing club Brandon Carman

"This event couldn't have been possible without the office of international affairs," said Brandon Carman, event organizer and former president of the bass fishing club. "They provided all the funding to make it happen." 

After everyone was done fishing the bass fishing club provided everyone with lunch and shared stories of their experiences.