COLUMN: America must stop seeing only elephants and donkeys

President Donald Trump is the most polarizing politician that has existed in my lifetime. 

I'm still getting used to calling him a politician — let alone the President of the United States of America.

Many Republicans love him. Many Democrats do not. Emotions are high — especially on social media.

The thing is when former President Barack Obama was elected in 2008 and 2012, emotions ran as high then as they have with this recent election. Republicans were irate while Democrats jumped for joy.

Obama did some great things, but he also failed to do things I hoped he would accomplish.

I believe Trump will make me feel the same way after his term.

I say this trying to keep an open-mind because America has become toxically polarized. 

The idea of Republicans versus Democrats — this "us vs. them" mentality — is leading the nation to nowhere good.

Members of both political parties must seriously reflect on their actions and how this team mentality is affecting the public's perception of our society. We see elephants and donkeys — not unified Americans.

And it shows in how we talk to each other on social media.

As the noise of Twitter and Facebook politics booms louder than ever, members of both parties must remember a debate cannot be won in the comments section. 

Social media debaters need to remember the purpose of political debate is to present opposing arguments and leave the conversation with a better understanding of the situation. It's not about "winning" or proving someone else wrong.

Compromise is the most important aspect of our government, which has been lost in this age of combative politics.

The idea of “my party and me” doing no wrong is ridiculous. People who feel this way are putting themselves in an echo chamber, reaffirming information and ignoring the facts.

How can I, a 20-year-old Indian citizen, see this better than so many Americans my age and older?

American politics baffle me. 

It’s time to stop being hypocritical. It’s time to exit the echo chamber to maintain the status of the United States as a land of opportunity, freedom and happiness for all. 

There cannot be an “us vs. them” mentality. It’s just us living this life together. We are sailing the same ship. Let's not let a bickering crew sink it.