Pan-African Fashion Show displays food, culture to students

Held for the first year by the African Student Association, the SANKOFA Pan-African Fashion Show offered African food, music and a photo booth for a night of fun in Finch Fieldhouse on Friday.

Attendees crowded the tables which consisted of cornbread, chicken and rice along with tea and water to represent African Culture.

“I know plenty of people that have never tried Jamaican or Caribbean food, so it was really nice to see that there was an option for people who wanted to try it,” junior Jasmine Merritt said.

The lights dimmed, African music played and the models walked out in all black with neon accessories for the Candy B Accessory line. 

The host for the evening Dominique Wade. “Dwade The Host” came from Eastern Michigan for the event.

“It was definitely a different vibe coming from Eastern to (CMU),” Wade said.  “It was a great crowd and I had fun.”

Vanessa Ozor, Candy Boakyewaa and the EYWA clothing brand had their products displayed at the event.The crowd cheered for multiple dance groups who performed following Ozor’s swimsuit collection.

“The swimsuit collection was my favorite because I never knew what kind of swimsuits were worn in Africa,” said Detroit junior Ahsha Davis.  “They were beautiful, everyone in all sizes looked great in theirs.”

The ASA dance group performed, ending with a standing ovation from the audience.

The event offered the audience a chance to win a free T-shirt by participating in a dance competition and a number put under an anonymous seat.

“I expected less people to show up, but more people showed up and the show was really nice,” Ozor said.

This was the first show that Ozor’s designs were displayed in. The models finished the show by wearing Ozor’s formal wear.

“I’m so excited to see what the designers have created again because the colors are nice, I mean everything looks so comfortable and I just want one of the dresses for myself, right now personally,” Merritt said.