Featured director to host Q&A session at International Film Festival

Featured director William R. Coughlan will be make an appearance on campus during the Annual Central Michigan International Film Festival on Sunday, Feb. 12.

Coughlan, an award-winning director and screenwriter, has eight short films featured in the festival. He will be flying in from New York to attend the viewing of his films alongside Central Michigan University students and faculty at 5:45 p.m. at the Charles V. Park Library Auditorium. After the screenings, he will speak and answer questions from aspiring film students and curious audience members.

An overwhelming number of Coughlan’s films were chosen by film festival judges, clearly being one of their favorites said Mark Poindexter, faculty advisor and lead International Film Festival producer.

Owosso sophomore Geri Gale, said Coughlan has spoken with CMU students before through Skype calls, but having the opportunity to ask questions in person will be an important experience. She said it will help students in the Broadcast and Cinematic Arts department get a better feel for the film industry with a more inclusive, hands-on experience.

Coughlan is one of the founding fathers of Tohubohu Productions and a director also involved with creative department management with The Advisory Board Company in Washington, D.C., according to the International Film Festival program.

The program stated he served two terms on the Board of Directors for the Television, Internet and Video Association in Washington, D.C. Additionally, he illustrated Stories for Children with Problems & Wishes, a therapeutic workbook for youth.

“I think it’s exciting for Broadcasting and Cinematic Arts students to see a person who is doing a job that you potentially want to do and be able to speak with him,” Canton senior Ashley Carey said. “This is very inspiring for BCA students and the community of Mount Pleasant.”

Coughlan's eight featured shorts include, All Roads Lead Away, Number One with a Bullet, Please Forward, Remorseless, The Greater Evil, Touched by a Lawyer, Uke & Trust Me and Winston. Each film ranges from three to 20 minutes in length.

The International Film Festival will show more than 90 films from across the globe Feb. 9-12 and Feb. 16-19.

The festival brings cinema to the campus community that expose students and faculty to films with political and societal significance, which they likely would not see elsewhere, Poindexter said.

“These films, which are not in the mainstream, give an authentic feel to each culture. I really do think these films represent real people in a rather charming way,” he said.