Softball falls to Ohio State in extra innings, finishes Aggie Classic 0-5

After a 10-0 mercy by Ohio State on Friday, Central Michigan softball head coach Margo Jonker wanted to make sure that the second match-up would end the weekend in Texas on a strong note.

"I wanted to finish the tournament strong," Jonker said. "I wanted to play the way Chippewas play softball: play with heart, Chippewa pride and represent the C."

Until the game went to extra innings, CMU did just that.

The Chippewas held the Buckeyes to just one run scored in regulation, with senior pitcher Rachael Knapp on the mound allowing five hits in the first seven innings. Senior outfielder Evelyn Larimer led the team offensively, recording one hit and one rbi.

"Knapp had a great game, she pitched extremely well so that makes a difference," Jonker said. "I thought it was a really competitive game, and we've gotten significantly better from game one to game five."

Tied at one going into the 8th, CMU would go on to give up five unanswered runs before being defeated 5-1. OSU outhit the Chippewas 4-0 in the final inning.

"We should have scored more early against the first pitcher we faced," Jonker said. "We're right there, we just have to get over the hump."

CMU will have a second chance to get over the hump in another road trip this upcoming Friday in Madeira Beach, Florida with match-ups against North Dakota at 9 am and Quinnipiac directly following the conclusion of the first game.