The Vagina Monologues to be performed this weekend

Ten students will share what their vagina would say if it could talk this weekend.

One actor's monologue focuses on not wanting to shave. Another monologue compares the word "vagina" to a medical instrument. 

The Vagina Monologues will be performed at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday and at 2 p.m. Sunday in the Kiva in Moore Hall.

"This is such an important piece to put on, especially in the current political climate,” said Jen Barnett, a Grand Haven senior and director of the show. “It provides a safe space for women to come and know others have gone through similar experiences and just to hear the word vagina. It’s important to open up that dialogue.”

The performance is put on by the Students Advocating Gender Equality. Student admission is $5 and public admission is $8.

The Vagina Monologues works to both celebrate women while addressing heavier topics such as rape and sexual assault. The writer of the show, Eve Ensler, created The Vagina Monologues after interviewing hundreds of women in 1996.

“It covers women’s stories from all walks of life,” Barnett said. “There have been talks that the show isn’t inclusive enough in the past, so I re-wrote the introduction to be as inclusive as possible. I put that we recognize not all women have vaginas, and not all people with vaginas identify as women. Vaginas aren’t what identify you as a woman.”

Ninety percent of the money raised will be donated to the local women’s aid shelter. The remaining 10 percent will be donated to One Billion Rising, a campaign to end violence against women.