Golf team travels to Phoenix for GCU Invitational

21909_img_4246f

Chippewa golf practices at Mount Pleasant Country Club on Sept. 17, 2015.

The Central Michigan golf team will head to Arizona this weekend for the second consecutive invitational as they play in the Grand Canyon Invitational.

The Chippewa’s landed in Arizona on Wednesday to prepare for the invitational, getting in a few practice rounds at multiple courses. Head coach Cheryl Stacy and assistant coach Lauren Grogan practiced with the team as well instead of observing.

“I think it’s good for the ladies to see how Lauren and I prepare and handle ourselves before each shot,” Stacy said.

This will be the Chippewa’s second invitational as they previously played in a match play tournament at the Rio Verde Invitational. 

“Match play is more relaxed than a traditional invitational," Stacy said. "The Rio Verde invitational was the team’s first scoring invitational since October. I think they’ll be more focused for the GCU invitational.”

Junior Natalie Johnson, sophomore Bria Colosky, junior Kristen Wolfe, freshman Danielle Sawyer and junior Holly Hines will compete for the Chippewas this weekend. Freshman Katie Logan and junior Amanda Walsh traveled with the team as well and will play for individual scores.

Johnson and Colosky look to build off the success they had at Rio Verde. Wolfe, Sawyer, and Hines aim to be more consistent as each had at least one birdie in Rio Verde, Stacy said.

Alabama-Birmingham, Chicago State, Grand Canyon, Georgetown, Montana State, Nebraska-Omaha, Portland State, Seattle and Texas Rio Grande Valley will compete in the tournament as well.

Stacy said challenges on the course will be deep bunkers and unpredictable greens. Stacy was especially cautious of the bunkers. 

“We have to be aware of the bunkers before each shot," Stacy said. "The ladies will have success if they can avoid the bunkers and read the greens." 

The event will run all day Saturday and Sunday at the GCU Golf Course.