Lacrosse dominates Gardner-Webb, 18-6

CMU snaps four-game losing streak, will face Butler Thursday

Sara Tisdale knew a fast start Tuesday would do wonders for her team moving forward and the Central Michigan lacrosse team would do just that. 

The Chippewas blew past Gardner-Webb, 18-6 to snap a four-game losing streak and improve to 2-5 on the season.   

After losing the past four games by an average of 8.75 goals per contest, a quick start was what the Chippewas needed to get back into the win column.

“It was critical to start fast and know we can play at that level,” said Tisdale. “We've had some doubts in our own mind about our ability to do that, so I'm glad we could execute."

Freshman Shannon Doyle led the way for the Chippewas with five goals, followed by four goals and an assist from sophomore Jocelyne Lemay and three goals from freshman Emily Kraus. 

It was all CMU from the beginning as the team jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the first 11 minutes of the first half.  Doyle and sophomore Lemay each scored two goals early while freshman Tyra Prince and Kraus each scored one.

CMU continued to control play and took a 11-2 lead into halftime. Doyle and Lemay managed to score their hat-trick goals and freshman Natalie Karlen, sophomore Anna Schoonover and freshman Emma Hamilton each scored their first of the afternoon before the break.

The second half was no different from the first. The Chippewas scored two quick goals in under two minutes to give them a 13-2 lead. Lemay and Doyle each scored their fourth goal of the evening, respectively.

Central Michigan finished strong outscoring Gardner-Webb, 5-4 for the rest of the second half. Prince and Karlen each scored their second goals of the game. Kraus scored two more to give her a hat-trick and Doyle rounded out the scoring for CMU with a minute to play. 

Sophomore Riley Huda led all Chippewas with a program-record five assists. The Minnesota native leads CMU with 11 assist on the season.

“We challenged Riley to be a leader in every aspect,“Tisdale said. “She accepted our challenge head on, and I can't be more proud of how she's flipped it around in the last 48 hours.“

The Chippewas will have another 48 hours to prepare for a matchup with Butler on Thursday in Indianapolis.