Wrestling looks to win first MAC title since 2012

After a two week rest following a tough loss in Wisconsin, Central Michigan Wrestling looks to finish their season in style.

The 2017 Mid-American Conference championships will be held Saturday and Sunday in Cedar Falls, Iowa. The MAC released the individual placements for this weekend’s tournament on Tuesday. 

Sophomore Justin Oliver (149), Juniors Brent Fleetwood (125), Colin Heffernan (157) and CJ Brucki (174) all drew No. 2 seeds for the tournament. Freshman Mason Smith (141) and junior Jordan Ellingwood (184) each drew No. 3 seeds.

Senior Austin Severn (197) and junior Newton Smerchek (Heavyweight) each drew four seeds. Senior Corey Keener (133) drew a five seed, while freshman Logan Parks will wrestle a “pig tale” match for the eighth seed at 165.

Head coach Tom Borrelli said the team is ready to wrestle again after a two-week break, and the MAC is wide open this season.

“We’re coming on right now,” he said. “Missouri has had injuries, Northern Iowa is feeling good after winning the regular season title. It’s going to be a really exciting tournament.”

The team has not won the MAC since 2012, the last of their 11 straight which started back in 2002.

Junior Jordan Ellingwood said he's hoping to repeat as MAC champion at 184 pounds, but the road to repeating will be difficult.

“(Jordan) is in a tough weight class,” Borrelli said. “(Jack) Dechow (from Old Dominion) is a returning All-American who’s wrestling a lot better this season. (Drew) Foster (from Northern Iowa) has had a very good year. (Jordan) is capable, but it won’t be easy.”

Ellingwood said he feels confident he can repeat and knows what it will take for him to bring home another title.

“(It’s the) same mentality as last year,” he said. “Just another person to wrestle.”