City seeks residents' input for medical marijuana committee

Mayor Kathy Ling speaks during a City Commission Meeting March 27 in Mount Pleasant City Hall.

The Mount Pleasant City Commission is asking residents to join an ad hoc committee looking into potential medical marijuana business ordinances.

The city commission and planning commission agreed to form a task force at a joint session on March 13. At the session, commissioners learned about the "Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act,” which was signed by Gov. Rick Snyder in December and clarifies state law regarding medical marijuana businesses.

Commissioners approved the makeup of a committee at their regular meeting Monday. The group will comprise of three residents, two city commissioners, two planning commissioners, a city attorney, Director of Public Safety Paul Lauria and City Planner Jacob Kain.

"The expectation is this committee will do additional research and obtain input from a number of stakeholders or groups in the community and report back with their recommendations," City Manager Nancy Ridley said. 

The new law does not take effect until Dec. 21., but commissioners expect to receive preliminary recommendations by the end of July. 

The city will accept applications until April 5 and appointments will be made April 10. 

Those interested should contact Ridley at manager@mt-pleasant.org.