Q&A: Rayson, family reflect on CMU career after senior night

Senior guard Braylon Rayson played his last game at McGuirk Arena on Saturday. 

Before the senior night game started, Rayson was honored and given a framed jersey for his efforts at Central Michigan for the last four years. 

Saturday's game was the first time Rayson was able to play in front of his mother and grandmother — Kasandra Rayson and Darnell Smith — who drove 18 hours from Dallas, Texas.

Rayson was subbed off with about two minutes left in the game and received a standing ovation from the crowd. He raised his hand to thank them, then shared a moment with his coach, Keno Davis, on the sideline. 

The Dallas, Texas native is CMU's all-time leader in three-pointers made. He also ranks No. 3 in career points scored at CMU. 

Central Michigan Life spoke with Davis, Rayson and his family to reflect on his Chippewa career. 

CM LIFE: How difficult is it for you to see Rayson go?

DAVIS: It is difficult to see (the seniors) leave. We have been through a lot together. The seniors have a lot of bright spots that they can look back at during their CMU career and remember the championships, career games, and the packed houses. (The seniors) are going to be missed, and missed for a reason because of how they have been able to represent the school.

What was said in the moment you had with Davis?

B. RAYSON: It was a player and coach thing. We were just talking about my career and things like that including my aspirations of playing pro basketball after this. Right now we are just trying to focus on the season because it is not over. It is my last home game but the season is still going on and we still have a goal to reach.

What does Central Michigan and the Mount Pleasant area mean to you?

B. RAYSON: It changed me as a person. It made me a better man, better person, better basketball player and better teammate. When I came here I was 18 years old and just a kid from Texas, which is way different, so it changed me a lot. I will forever have it in my memory and in my heart.

How has coming to Mount Pleasant helped your son, Braylon?

K. RAYSON: It has made him a better player, coming here. He has advanced his skills a lot. He has become very humble. It has just been great, him leaving Dallas and coming here, I was very scared to be honest. He is the one who told me that (CMU) was a better place for him and which it was so it was good for him. It has been a blessing.

What is next for your son after he leaves CMU?

K. RAYSON: Definitely the 'pros.' We hope that he goes to the draft and if he doesn't then he goes overseas which is just as good. All of this is new for me because this is my only son and my only child. I am very proud of him.