Annese sees special teams as opportunity to begin career in NFL

Tony Annese knows he likely won't hear his name called during the NFL Draft in late April, but that hasn't deterred him from trying to prove he can make an NFL roster. 

The Hartland Michigan native played safety for the Central Michigan football team and racked up 243 total tackles – 160 solo - while starting in 39 of 48 games in four seasons.

He was also named all Mid-American Conference his sophomore year while finishing second on the team with 74 tackles, three interceptions, and 10 passes broken up.

Annese participated in CMU's Pro Day Monday, showcasing his abilities to several NFL scouts. 

The 6-foot safety spent the last two months training at Chip Smith Performance Center in Atlanta, Georgia. A calf injury has sidelined him the last two weeks. He didn't run the 40-yard dash, but did do the short-shuttle in 4.39 seconds. 

The qualities he can bring to an NFL team are toughness, leadership and willing to work.

“Whatever I can do to help an NFL team win I will do,” Annese said. “I’m willing to do go out on the practice squad and hopefully make a team.”

Head coach John Bonamego said Annese's passion on the field was a quality that could help him possibly earn a spot on a team in the future. 

“(Annese) is a very physical player, very instinctive and sure tackler,” he said. “Tony will probably find his niche early on special teams. If he does a good job with that, it will carry him a long way.”

Annese said he understands starting out on special teams is his best opportunity to play professionally. 

“Teams like the way I played special teams my freshman year,” he said. “They really like my attitude and relentlessness. I’m willing to do anything to get to the next level.”

At the end of the day Annese said he doesn’t care what jersey he’s wearing next season, he just wants to play football.

“I don’t have any picks on who I want to play for,” he said. “If any team gives me an opportunity, I’ll take it.”