Lacrosse falls to Furman despite hot goaltending

Freshman Attacker Emma Hamilton shoots the ball on April 2 at the Soccer/Lacrosse Complex. Josh Barnhart | Staff Photographer

The Central Michigan lacrosse team fell to the Furman Paladins by a score of 12-11 on Sunday morning in Mt. Pleasant.

With the loss, the Chippewas (4-7, 1-3 Atlantic Sun) dropped their second consecutive game.

Despite losing, freshman goalkeeper Hope Murray was sensational for the Chippewas, posting 12 saves.

“I woke up in the morning and new today was going to be a good day,” said Murray. “I know I have the team and they have my back and I have theirs it makes me a lot more confident.  

The first half may have been CMU’s most competitive half of play this season. The two teams had 3 lead changes and 4 ties. The largest lead for either team was just 1 goal as the Chippewas took a 5-4 lead going into the break.

Central Michigan’s balance was on display in the first half as five different Chippewas found the back of the net. Shannon Doyle, Riley Huda, Hamilton, Tyra Prince, Kylee Frazier and Hamilton all scored before the break.  

The second half started out similar to the first with both teams exchanging two goals. Emily Kraus scored and Huda tacked on another one before Central Michigan gained some separation on Lemay and Hamilton goals to put the Chippewas up 9-6 with just over 18 minutes remaining in the game.

After taking a timeout, Furman rode a huge momentum wave. The Paladins scores six straight two give them a 12-9 lead.

“We got real tight and made some mistakes we had made all game,” said head coach Sara Tisdale. “Six unanswered goals are hard and it’s as simple as coming up with a ground ball to change momentum.”

Central Michigan answered back with Riley Huda scoring two more goals, but the Chippewas couldn’t find the third as Furman squeaked away with a one goal victory.

Moving forward, CMU will hit the road for Florida as the Chippewas take on Stetson and Jacksonville in conference play next weekend.