Lacrosse falls to Detroit

Snapping its three-game win-streak, the Central Michigan lacrosse team fell to Detroit-Mercy Saturday afternoon at the Lacrosse/Soccer Complex.

The Titans defeated the Chippewas by a score of 17-12.

“There was so much emotion in that game, it’s our in-state rival” said Head Coach Sara Tisdale. “Knowing how to rise and fall with the way it goes is a tough lesson to learn the last game of the season.”

Central Michigan and Detroit began play going back and forth. Neither team could gain momentum as the game was tied 4-4 midway through first half.

With under ten minutes remaining in the half, the Titans found a burst of energy scoring three quick goals to give them a 7-4 lead late in the first half.

CMU’s Jocelyne Lemay would score her fourth of the afternoon with 2:35 remaining in the first half to cut the Titans lead to 7-5 heading to the break.

Detroit-Mercy came out blazing to open the second half. The Titans scored five of the first six goals coming out of the break to give Detroit-Mercy a 12-6 lead.  

Led by Lemay, Riley Huda and company the Chippewas would go on a run of their own scoring four straight goals.

“When we chose the right shots, it makes it look easy,” said Tisdale. “A lot of our goals were crafted-well, discipline goals.”

Tyra Prince scored on a pass from Huda to cut the lead to 12-10 midway through the second half.

The Chippewas could not find any more success the rest of the way as Detroit dominated to close out the game.

With the loss, Central Michigan is not likely to qualify for the Atlantic Sun tournament. The Chippewas finished the regular season with a record of 7-10, 4-6 in Atlantic Sun play.