Maroonziee event helps students relieve stress before exams

Students flocked to the front of Warriner Hall on Friday for the annual Maroonziee event. The end-of-the-year celebration aims to help student "de-stress" before exam week starts, says Program Board special events co-director Marissa Mattioli.

"It's pretty much just a way for students to get away from the stress of studying for finals," Mattioli said.

Maroonziee was free for students and included attractions like inflatable obstacle courses, caricature drawings and live music. The musical acts included the Florida-native duo Icarus Account,The Outer Vibe from Nashville, Tennessee, and the band Story Book, who are based in Saginaw.

Free food including hot dogs and chips were given out on a first-come-first-serve basis. Cotton candy and popcorn were made on the spot using machines provided by the Office of Student Activities & Involvement.

Alma senior Jessica Greening learned of the event through Snapchat, after a friend of hers sent her a snap with a specialized Maroonziee filter.

Greening said the event achieved its goal of providing an opportunity for students to get away from the stress of the upcoming finals week.

"It really helps students get all of their energy out, and take their minds off of all of the studying, at least for a little while," Greening said.