Sports management class to hold opening day watch party at O'Kelly's

logo

As the Detroit Tigers kick off opening day for Major League Baseball in Chicago on Monday, Steven Adler's sports and sales marketing class is hosting a watch party at O'Kelly's Sports Bar and Grill. 

The Tigers will be playing the Chicago With Sox at 4:10 p.m. Entry to the bar is free, with food and drink specials varying in price during the game. Adler's class will be raffling off prizes throughout the night. 

Sophomore Joey Paciero said he and the rest of the class will be raffling off prizes throughout the night.

“We’re looking to get experience and some knowledge in what goes on in running such a big event," Paciero said. "We have five different departments in social media, sponsorships, prize and procurement, community outreach and game day operations that have a hand in it and will allow us to run the event smoothly.” 

In regards to the prizes, some will be given away to those with certain skills, while others by chance. Participants can get up to three raffle tickets — one for wearing tigers gear, one for being a Central Michigan University student and one ticket for just showing up to the event.

Some notable prizes include a basketball signed by the entire Central Michigan men's basketball team, a framed picture collage of former Chippewa wide receiver Antonio Brown and Tiger's infielder Miguel Cabrera, a baseball signed by Nick Castellanos, and two Tigers tickets to Opening Day. 

The prizes were provided with the help of their three sponsors, University Meadows, Jump Station, and Miller Light, who will also have giveaways of their own. 

Paciero has high hopes for the Tigers this season, going as far as to say they may be the final team standing in the end. 

“I think (the Tigers) are going to be pretty solid," he said. "They were able to bring some key pieces back so fingers crossed, this will be our year."

Doors open at 3:30 p.m. on Monday at O'Kelly's.