SGA vice president delivers State of the Student Body Address

anna_owens

Midland senior and SGA Vice-President Anna Owens speaks to the attendees of the State of the Student Body Address on Apr. 3 in Powers Ballroom. 

Student Government Association Vice President Anna Owens continued the push to fund a Gender and Sexuality Center and addressed other topics in the State of the Student Body Address on Monday in Powers Ballroom.

Owens delivered a nearly 10-minute speech to Central Michigan University students and members of the Mount Pleasant community. Owens took the place of current SGA President Jazmin Biernat, who did not attend due to illness.

Using notes Biernat left her, Owens reminded students and faculty of some of the accomplishments SGA House and Senate passed, including the creation of a Gender and Sexuality Center ad-hoc committee and a Diversity and Inclusion forum.

“If the student body has a better understanding (of) what SGA is, then we can accomplish together limitless goals,” Owens said.

Former SGA President Chuck Mahone developed the event last year. Biernat and Owens had this event again in hopes to continue the tradition.

The event started with Macomb junior Mike DeGregory beginning the Committee Showcase, in which each of the seven committee chairs discussed their actions this year and thanked their committee members.

Jene'a Johnson, chair of the Diversity Committee, said her committee helps push awareness and acceptance forward.

"We aim to break down barriers like bias, prejudice, hate, language and actions that perpetuate equality, mobility and social justice,” Johnson said.

House Leader Cody Van Buren and Senate Leader Emilee Madison delivered the Legislation Showcase. The duo named several resolutions passed this year by SGA, such as a resolution to support the creation of a Gender and Sexuality Center and a resolution to revise the room reservation system for registered student organizations.

“SGA always strives to have an inclusive environment, one that strives to promote awareness to all student identities whether that be socioeconomic, political, gender and sexuality, ethnic, cultural and much more for any CMU student,” Madison said.

Van Buren added that out of the many resolutions created this year through SGA, 19 were passed.

Legal Clinic directors Macey Miller and Stephen Dunn highlighted the SGA Legal Clinic, which is free for all CMU students.

“Although we have established a multitude of great relationships throughout the year, the most important relationship was the one with the student body,” Dunn said.

Owens ended the night with the Award Presentation, awarding administrator Janet Smith and the Organization of Women Leaders on campus for the work that they have done at CMU.