Students mourn the Syrian chemical warfare victims

The Muslim Student Association hosted a candlelight vigil Sunday night to remember and mourn the casualties of the chemical attack in Syria on Tuesday.

The airstrike in the Idbil Province was one of the worst chemical bombings in Syria, the New York Times reported, an attack many countries consider a war crime.

CNN reported that 85 people died, including children, and hundreds more were injured. The airstrike, which many world leaders believe involved the Syrian and Russian governments, caused President Donald Trump to order a missile strike on a Syrian government airbase.

Hesham Tanbour, president of the Muslim Student Association, spoke to the 30 vigil participants at the Wesley Church on Central Michigan University’s campus April 9. After he explained the severity of the chemical attacks, Tanbour led the group in prayer, asking everyone to "pray in your own way."

Each attendee held a paper bag containing a candle and sand while they listen to verses from the Qur’an. Prayer was followed by a moment of silence for Syrian victims.

"The Qur'an says that even if one person is killed, it is as if all of humanity is killed," Tanbour said.

Midland freshman Maham Khan said the vigil was a way to remember "the innocent lives that have been lost." It also brings awareness to issues that the Muslim Student Organization believe are underrepresented.

Gabrielle Pruitt agreed, and added that she thinks there is inadequate coverage of the war in Syria and refugee crisis.

"There are a lot of things we aren't being educated on," Pruitt said. "(The U.S isn’t) considering it important."

Vigil attendees wrote prayers on sticky notes and put them on the building sign outside of the church. The bagged candles were placed in front of them to illuminate the words.

After the hosts thanked guests for attending the vigil, they put the candles out and participants left.

"This affected all people," Tanbour said. "We are part of the many that go out in the streets and tell people of the crimes against humanity."