Second finalist for athletic director scheduled to visit campus

King is director of intercollegiate athletics at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

University of Texas Rio Grande Valley director of intercollegiate athletics was the second of four finalists scheduled to interview on campus to become Central Michigan University's next athletic director.

Times and locations for the athletic director interviews were not disclosed. Members of the public were not included in the interview process. No further information about today's scheduled interview is available.

Unlike other recent searches conducted by the university, such as the Dean of Libraries, College of Communications and Fine Arts Dean and the Provost, the search for the athletic director does not include public forums for students and staff to participate in.

Each finalist will have four interviews at CMU where they will meet with President George E. Ross, the president's cabinet, head coaches and senior athletic department staff, and the search committee.

Former Director of Athletics Dave Heeke became athletics director at the University of Arizona after spending 11 years at CMU. Heeke's replacement is expected to earn about $250,000.

Chris King earned a bachelor's degree in sport management at Robert Morris University. His athletic career began in 1995 at Campbell University where he worked as a compliance assistant. King went on to earn a master's degree in education leadership. He served as the Director of Compliance and Special Events at Liberty University and later moved to the University of Central Florida as the Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance and Internal Operations.

King worked at the University of Alabama from 2002-09 before moving to UTRGV. He was the Associate Athletic Director for Compliance at Alabama before being promoted to Associate Athletic Director for Administration in 2007.

UTRGV currently fields teams in eight men’s and eight women’s sports. Last summer, the university announced the athletic department commissioned a study on the feasibility of starting a football program. When the firm was selected in June, King had hoped to have a report by November 2016. A report from The Monitor stated the consulting firm was not expected to present a formal report to UTRGV’s study committee until early 2017. No further update has been disclosed on the study.

King replaced head men's basketball coach Dan Hipster after three seasons at UTRGV in March 2015. King reassigned the position to Lew Hill, who wrapped up the regular season in March with a 10-22 record. Hipsher was 27-66 overall during his three years with the program.

On April 17, Central Michigan Life requested, through the Michigan Freedom of Information Act, the applications of eight candidates interviewed by the search committee by phone or Skype. On April 25, the university requested an additional 10 days to fulfill the request. Central Michigan Life is appealing the decision. Under the university's request, the application material will not be released until May 9, which is the final day of interviews.

Bob Martin, vice president for advancement and chair of the 16-member search committee, said in a statement requested today by CM Life that "most universities have confidential athletic director searches and use a search firm for them."

Martin stated the university saved $100,000 by appointing staff, faculty and student athletes to the search committee instead of hiring a search firm. When asked how much the university is spending on the AD search, Martin said he could not provide the cost until after the interview process is over.

University of Notre Dame's senior associate athletics director for student-athlete services Mike Harrity was the first finalist to interview on campus for athletic director position. He visited CMU May 1.

The other two finalists are Michael Alford, senior associate athletics director for administration and development at the University of Oklahoma and Marie Tuite, interim athletics director at San Jose State University. Alford will be on campus May 8. Tuite's scheduled interview is May 9.

Ross is expected to make an offer to a candidate to fill the position by June 1.

About McKenzie Sanderson

McKenzie Sanderson is the Sports Editor at Central Michigan Life. She is a senior at Central ...

View Posts by McKenzie Sanderson →