Five baseball players selected to All-MAC teams

After taking home its second Mid-American Conference West Division title in three years, several Central Michigan baseball players received individual honors Tuesday.

Five Chippewas earned All-MAC honors Tuesday, on the eve of the conference tournament in Avon, Ohio.

Senior Robert Greenman and junior Daniel Jipping were selected to the All-MAC First Team, while pitchers Tyler Hankins (freshman), Pat Leatherman (sophomore) and Colton Bradley (junior) were all named to the second team, respectively.

In addition, Hankins was named the MAC Freshman Pitcher of the Year — becoming the first Chippewa to win the award. The 6-foot-9 Bartlett, Illinois native went 5-1 during the regular season with a 3.65 ERA. He notched two complete games and came within two outs of earning a third.

The freshman accumulated 86 1/3 innings on the season, good enough for third in the MAC.

It was the third-consecutive year Jipping received all-conference honors as he was named to the first team as a freshman and second team as a sophomore. The Canton native earned an at-large spot this season as he leads CMU with 11 home runs and 57 RBI.

Leatherman, who pitches for the Chippewas in the tournament opener against Northern Illinois, went 6-4 on the regular season with a 4.08 ERA. The Jenison native pitched 79 1/3 innings on the season and ranked fourth in the MAC with 72 strikeouts.

Bradley ranked second in the conference with 10 saves on the season to go along with his six wins. The Augusta native went 6-1 out of the bullpen this season with a 3.65 ERA and pitched 44 1/3 innings.

Greenman broke out this season with nine home runs and 38 RBI, while hitting .263 from the plate.

First pitch of the MAC Tournament opener was moved back to 2 p.m. Wednesday.