SpartanNash volunteers feed over 6,000 attendees at Summer Special Olympics

For Frank Vandermeer, the 2017 Michigan Summer Games marks his 33rd year of feeding athletes and spectators by operating the SpartanNash food tent. 

An over-sized tent set up in Lot 64, the parking lot directly west of the Kelly/Shorts Stadium, is where Vandermeer leads a group of more than 20 volunteers. Serving food over the course of three days during the Summer Games, SpartanNash produces over 6,000 meals for athletes, volunteers and other participants.

After 12 years of operation, Vandermeer and DeYoung were joined by Bryan and Linda Porritt, also Spartan employees. Bryan Porritt still works for SpartanNash, and manages the acquisition of the food donations that are served by the tent. Besides other volunteers from SpartanNash, Vandermeer said most of the crew of the food tent is made up of friends and family of the original four members.

As the size of the tent and its staff have grown over its 33 years of service, Vandermeer has remained active as a volunteer and organizer of the event.

"Once I started this, way back when, I was hooked, and I'm still hooked," he said. "I get more back from doing this with the athletes then I could ever even think about giving. It's very rewarding."

The food tent began serving patrons at the SpartanNash Tailgate Party at 4 p.m. until 6:15 p.m. on Thursday, immediately preceding the opening ceremonies. The tailgate meal included hamburgers, pizza and chicken nuggets, with vegetable and salad options available.  

The food tent serves breakfast and lunch on Friday and Saturday. Breakfast will be served between 7-9 a.m., and includes sandwiches, fruit, cereal and yogurt. Lunch will be served from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m., and features a menu of hot dogs, bratwurst and pulled pork.

A dinner will be served at 4 p.m. on Friday, featuring pork loin, chicken breast, potatoes and salad.

Vandermeer has been operating the food tent every year since 1985. Along with fellow Spartan employee Bob DeYoung, Vandermeer originally served hot dogs to Spartan volunteers who worked at the Summer Games. Vandermeer and DeYoung have since retired from SpartanNash, though they still participate as volunteers.

In addition to the food tent, the SpartanNash company is a presenting partner for the Summer Games. Tom Carlisle, this year's recipient of the Healthy Athlete of the Year award, has been featured on cases of Spartan brand spring water for the month of May.

The SpartanNash company was founded in 2013 when Spartan Stores merged with food distributor Nash Finch.