Construction on new $26 million Integrative Health Studies building begins March 2018

A $26 million on-campus building dedicated to the Integrative Health Studies program will begin construction in March 2018

About $19.5 million of the cost of the building will be supplied by the State of Michigan. The remaining $6.5 million will be paid for by the university using funds set aside for construction. Plans to move forward with construction on the building were approved by Central Michigan University's Board of Trustees on June 29.

"(The building) will expand high-demand programs, including physician assistant and physical therapy," said university president George Ross after the trustees' meeting. "It will also offer opportunities for these programs to start working together."

The facility will be around 57,500 square feet, and will be located in the concourse currently between the College of Health Professions and Finch Fieldhouse. The building will have four classrooms, one medium-sized and three small, and a 150-seat auditorium. The building will include a simulation-focused education center, faculty and staff offices and student support areas. It will also house discipline-specific instructional laboratories, including a physician assistant laboratory, physical therapy laboratories dedicated to orthopedic and neurological studies and a human physiology laboratory. 

Preliminary design schematics were completed at the end of June. Facilities Management is now in the process of finalizing the designs which will be completed in September. After designs for the facility are completed, designs for the construction site will be developed until January 2018. Construction will take place from March 2018 until the end of summer 2019.