Isabella County Disaster Recovery Center opens to assist residents affected by flooding

Residents impacted by the late June flooding in Isabella County can seek assistance through the Isabella County Disaster Recovery Center.

The center, located at 4855 E. Bluegrass Rd. in Mount Pleasant, helps residents through the assistance process after damages and losses that occurred after the disaster.

Isabella County’s location operates from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. It is closed Sundays.

Residents of Bay, Gladwin, Midland and Isabella counties and residents of the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe in Isabella County can register for assistance by visiting DisasterAssistance.gov or through the Federal Emergency Management Agency app.

Residents and those who use 711 or Video Relay Services can call 800-621-3362 to register for assistance. People who are hearing impaired can call 800-462-7585.

City Manager Nancy Ridley informed the public of these options at the Mount Pleasant City Commission meeting Monday, Aug. 14.

FEMA and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) representatives are on hand to answer questions about disaster assistance and low-interest disaster loans for homeowners, renters and businesses, according to FEMA’s website. The representatives can also help those affected apply for federal disaster assistance.

The FEMA site states more centers will open as sites are identified and approved. The site also states it is not necessary to visit a center to register for and receive federal disaster assistance.

Survivors of the floods should register with FEMA before visiting a recovery center, according to the site.

President Donald Trump on Aug. 2 declared a state of disaster for Isabella, Midland, Bay and Gladwin counties.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →