Field hockey tries to turn season around this weekend

36057_fieldhockeyt
Sophomore midfielder Kady Gurtis runs after the ball during the game against Northwestern on Oct. 23, 2016 at the Field Hockey Complex.

After dropping the first two games of 2017 and finishing last season with only one win, the Central Michigan field hockey team is already in position to overcome adversity.

Head coach Molly Pelowski said she expects her team to bounce back accordingly following the losses. 

The next test will be two games in three nights for the Chippewas. CMU faces Vermont and American in East Lansing this weekend.  

“We’re really excited to play two out of conference opponents,” Pelowski said.  “Our message will stay the same as it has been, and that’s that we need to prepare, execute, and make the adjustments necessary to win.” 

Regarding the losses, Pelowski isn’t letting them dwell over the team. She downplayed both losses to mental errors. 

"We may have gotten a little bit rattled with somethings going on in the game,” Pelowski said. “Moving into this week of practice, we know the things we need to work on and the things we need to be successful.” 

Early in the season, Pelowski sees how important it is to get a win under their belt after a losing start.  

“Emotionally, getting a win would be great from a standpoint that our team can see the benefit of all their hard work they’ve put in,” Pelowski said. “The outcome takes care of itself when we are able to do what we need to do.” 

The Chippewas will face off against Vermont on Friday, Sept. 1 and American on Sunday, Sept. 3 in East Lansing, Michigan.