Bueter leads volleyball to South Bend

volleyballvsiupui4703

Senior Outside Hitter Jordan Bueter plays in a match against Indiana University- Purdue University Indianapolis on Sep. 9 in McGuirk Arena. 

Senior volleyball standout Jordan Bueter will compete in her hometown for the first time since high school in this weekend's Shamrock Invitational tournament in South Bend, Indiana. 

Central Michigan (7-2) faces Southern Illinois on Friday before going up against Michigan State and Notre Dame on Saturday. 

Head coach Mike Gawlik is eager to see how his team competes against high-level competition this weekend. 

"We have to stay in the fight and do our best," Gawlik said. "We've earned a right to go against really good teams in our region."

Bueter Returns Home

The Indiana native was a standout in high school at Mishawaka Marian from 2010-13. Bueter was a four-time Northern Indiana Conference First-Team selection and conference MVP as a junior. She was also a three-time IHSAA All-State Second-Team honoree before earning IHSAA All-State First-Team in her senior season. 

Bueter's family and friends are excited to see her back in action. In fact, Bueter said her family created a Facebook group for all those attending, so she expects to see a lot of maroon and gold. 

"I am so excited," Bueter said. "There is going to be so many people there."

Despite all her success in Notre Dame's backyard, Bueter chose to play at Central Michigan. After three years of success at the collegiate level, the senior finally gets a chance to play in front of her hometown family and friends. 

"We're just going to play the way we have been playing and stick to the game plan," Bueter said. 

Bueter is coming off back-to-back MVP performances at the George Mason and Chippewa Invitational. She was also honored as the Mid-American Conference West Division Offensive Player of the Week. 

Opponent Outlook 

Friday: Southern Illinois (1-7) 4:30 p.m.

"They're putting pressure on you to have to defend from pin to pin," Gawlik said. "They don't give you any breaks and will put a lot of pressure on our blocking."

Saturday: Michigan State (5-1) 10:00 a.m. and Notre Dame (7-1) 7:00 p.m.

"Michigan State and Notre Dame bring a physicality we have yet to see so far," Gawlik said. "We have to prepare to go at their block and pass the ball."

Coach Gawlik served as an assistant at Michigan State for 11 seasons prior to coming to CMU. Gawlik said he recruited many current players on the Spartans roster.