Former Associate Vice President of Development dies at 73

Robert Rulong spent 26 years at Central Michigan University before retiring with Emeritus status in 2003

screen-shot-2017-09-05-at-9-36-38-am

Robert Rulong, former associate vice president of Development prominent member of the Mid-Michigan community, died in Mount Pleasant Friday, Aug. 25.

He was 73 years old.

Rulong, born in West Virginia, graduated from West Virginia's Alderson Broaddus University in 1966. Shortly after he accepted the position of Student Union Director at the university, and began his life long career in university administration.

He also served in a developmental role at Alma College and served as the Director of Development at Bridgewater College in Virginia. In 1977, Rulong was named Associate Vice President of Development at Central Michigan University. 

While at the university, Rulong was responsible for the creation of the CMU Center for Cultural and Natural History museum. 

He retired from the university in 2003 with Emeritus status but stayed in the community, continuing volunteer with or serve on boards for local organizations. 

According to his obituary, Rulong was affiliated with Art Reach of Mid Michigan as a trustee; board member of the Mount Pleasant Area Chamber of Commerce; a member of the Isabella County Habitat for Humanity; board of director member of McLaren Central Michigan Foundation; member of the Pardee Cancer Foundation of Isabella County and worked with Special Olympics Michigan.

He also was active with the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe. 

Rulong is preceded in death by his parents and son Jeffery. He is survived by his wife of 50 years Betty Jo, daughter Holly (Rulong) Campbell and his grand children Conner, Abigail, Zoe and Rory Campbell, and Madison Rulong. 

A memorial service is scheduled for 11 a.m. Friday, Sept. 1 at Clark Family Funeral Chapel. Interment is scheduled after the service at Riverside Cemetery.

A luncheon will follow at the Reflections Reception Center. 

Memorial contributions are requested to be mad to Alderson-Broaddus University in Rulong's honor.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →