League of Women Voters to host voting rights forum

19293_logot

The League of Women Voters of the Mount Pleasant Area will host a voting rights forum from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday at the Veterans Memorial Library. 

Members of the League of Women Voters will talk to the community about the history of voting rights in the United States and the 1965 Voting Rights Act. During lunch, there will be a discussion about voting rights in Mount Pleasant. 

Lara Raisanen, president of the League of Women Voters of the Mount Pleasant Area, said the organization also wants to focus on the unique challenges that students face when registering to vote and casting a ballot. One aspect of that, she said, is looking at how the local community can make voting easier for students.

"Rather than thinking we have those answers, my hope is that we’ll have students attend and tell us what would make it easier for them to cast a ballot," Raisanen said. 

Raisanen became president of the Mount Pleasant area chapter of League in May. She hopes to build relationships with students and learn more about what types of events students would want to attend, what they want to learn and what issues they care about. 

Students who are interested in having members of League speak to their organizations or groups can reach out to the League on social media or by phone or email.