Stanitzek will play against Syracuse, was ejected in 2015

29709_img_14812f
Junior defensive lineman Mitch Stanitzek, right, sacks the quarterback during the game against Presbyterian College on Sept. 1, at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Two years ago, junior defensive lineman Mitch Stanitzek was ejected for targeting Syracuse quarterback Eric Dungey in CMU’s 30-27 loss two years ago, and received death threats from Syracuse fans after the game.

Dungey was being tackled from behind as he threw and Stanitzek hit Dungey while he was falling. The pass was completed for a touchdown, but the hit knocked Dungey out of the game. Dungey remained out for four more games in his freshman year.

After the game in 2015, Stanitzek apologized for the hit on Dungey, explaining that it all happened so fast. 

"I'd like to apologize to him. It was never my intention to go head-to-head with him," he said. "It was a quick play and I wasn't able to react. It's unfortunate he received a concussion. It's part of the game. No one ever wants to see that happen anywhere."

Stanitzek said he ignored the threats from Syracuse fans, but was not willing to comment on the situation at practice on Wednesday, Sept. 13. 

Central Michigan Life also reached out to SU quarterback Eric Dungey, but he declined to comment.

CMU takes on Syracuse in the first meeting since the incident at 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 16 in the Carrier Dome.