Student Government Association elects senators, house and senate leaders

mg-6723

Eleven new senators are sworn in at the SGA meeting on Sept. 18 in the Bovee University Center Auditorium.

The Student Government Association addressed the purpose of its organization on campus, parliamentary procedure and the budget on Sept. 18 in the Bovee University Center Auditorium. They also elected senators for the current academic year. 

SGA Vice President Derek Sturvist outlined the major branches of SGA, saying that the association is a bi-cameral body, with a house and senate. The Student Budget Allocation Committee (SBAC), allows for funding for certain events planned by committees. 

Treasurer Mike DeGregory followed with an explanation of the proposed budget, which can be found at http://goo.gl/HhA86B. The budget was approved unanimously.  

After the budget approval, Parliamentarian and cabinet member Winnifred Walsh displayed a power point presentation regarding proper parliamentary procedure.The point of implementing parliamentary language, Walsh explained, is to "help meetings run smoothly," emphasizing the importance of stating one's name and position before making a statement. 

Thirteen individuals ran for the 11 open senate seats, where they took the time to explain their leadership experience and proposed ideas for senate projects. 

Elected senators who were sworn in Monday evening were junior Amber Sadler; junior Brendan Mantey; senior Brianna McCrary; senior Emilee Madison; graduate student Hassnain Asgar; sophomore Katana Meganck; freshman Lance Wood; sophomore Lyndi Rose; senior Morgan Clark; senior Nathan Grant and graduate student Shuvo Kundu.

Committees met and their groups broke off in order to meet with house and senate to decide on house and senate leaders. 

Senior Amani Johnson and junior Caroline Murray ran for senate leader. Murray was voted in as Senate Leader. 

Murray has been involved in SGA for three years, has been a senator for a year and was a committee chair for Registered Student Organizations Growth and Development since spring of 2017. She is also a Resident Assistant in Larzelere Hall and co-founded a nonprofit organization, Pack Your Back. 

Senior Drake Smarch and sophomore Madison Mariles campaigned for house leader. Smarch was voted in as house leader.

Press Secretary Joshua Geary said Smarch is the RSO Representative for High Adventure Club and was Sustainability committee chair for two years.

Murray and Smarch will chose a pro tempore for each of their respective groups within the week.