Author, former professor to speak Oct. 10 in Bovee University Center

19293_logot

Multicultural Academic Student Services will host author Paul Hernandez as a keynote speaker for Hispanic Heritage Month at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 10 in the Bovee University Center Rotunda.

Hernandez, a former professor at Central Michigan University, is the author of “The Pedagogy of Real Talk,” which describes his experiences as an "at risk" student and the methods he has developed to help educators better connect with struggling students.

Hernandez's "real talk" system teaches educators methods to build rapport and relate to students on a deeper, more personal level. The system is designed the create a more inclusive and comfortable educational environment for students who might otherwise feel marginalized within the education system and their communities as a whole.

In addition to “The Pedagogy of Real Talk,” Hernandez hosts workshops across the country about the experience of growing up under adversity and how education can produce new opportunities. Hernandez’s speeches focus on diversity and inclusion, though the content can be tailored for broader audiences. 

Other upcoming Hispanic Heritage Month events include a Latin American Music and Dance Session at 6 p.m. Monday, Oct. 9 in the Gold and Chippewa Rooms in the UC, and a discussion session on intersectionality and taboos at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 11in the UC Terrace Rooms A through D.