Clinical observation held for stuttering awareness week

img-3719-2

Students observe clinical videos of stuttering in people of all ages in the Health Professions Building October 24.

A stuttering therapy Clinical Observation Night was held at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 24 in the Health Professions Building.

Central Michigan University students were invited to observe experienced clinicians provide therapy to individuals who stutter. The event is one of three that will take place as part of Stuttering Awareness Week, hosted by the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders.

During the evening, students watched three videos, which ranged from 20 to 40 minutes in length, of professional speech pathologists working with patients. Throughout the therapy sessions, the speech pathologists helped their patients with different therapy focuses. While some focused on speaking more slowly and reducing tension, others focused on accepting their stuttering and becoming more comfortable with it. 

A small discussion followed each video led by Sue Woods, a professor at in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. Woods will be facilitating all of the stuttering awareness events throughout the week. 

"Stuttering is perhaps the most recognized, yet most misunderstood communication condition," said Woods. "Anyone who communications with people - which is everyone - would benefit from attending these events."

This was the 17th annual Stuttering Awareness Week held by the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, which has always been held around the same time as International Stuttering Awareness Day on Oct. 22. All events are sponsored by the Association of Future Speech Language Pathologists.

Two more stuttering awareness events will take place this week. A stuttering simulation that aims to put attendees in the position of someone with a stutter will take place 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 25 in room 1255 of the Health Professions Building. A panel discussion featuring experts on therapy for people who stutter will take place 7 p.m. Oct. 26 in the Kiva Theater in Moore Hall.