COLUMN: Bannon’s 'economic nationalism' is white nationalism in disguise

elio-sante-mug

A man enters a room in his house that’s been converted into a studio. He’s wearing his best black shirt, a sports jacket and khaki pants. 

He’s ready for his first TV interview.

It begins with sharp and pointed questions. He’s quick, angry and bites back against the man sitting opposite to him. Like a feral dog, he chews through every question as the interview continues.

Then, in a moment of comedy, he is compared to the Grim Reaper. He responds, “They can call me a racist…As long as we are driving this agenda for the working men and women of this country, I’m happy. And by the way, that’s every nationality.” 

He adds, “Every race, every religion, every sexual preference…you’re part of this populist, economic nationalist movement.”

As Stephen Bannon says this, time stops.

Time stops and there he stands in a black room. 

In a moment of self-reflection, he watches himself as he compares refugees entering the U.S. to the novel, “Camp of the Saints”. The novel depicts the end of Western civilization by an invasion of subhuman-like migrants from India, Africa and the Middle East.

Bannon looks to his right and sees an email he sent Breitbart’s former Tech Editor, Milo Yiannopoulos. It reads, “Drop your toys, pick up your tools and go help save western civilization.” 

He thinks America is facing the same destruction as in “Camp of the Saints.” He sees himself as the righteous crusader trying to save it from invaders.

Bannon then looks to his left and sees the email he sent expressing his love of the idea that Yiannopoulos holds a press conference in front of a mosque. 

“Brilliant,” it reads, “Btw they [mosques] are ALL ‘factories of hate.’”

Then Bannon sees the Breitbart headlines, “DATA: Young Muslims in the West Are a Ticking Time Bomb, Increasingly Sympathizing with Radicals, Terror,” “Bill Kristol: Republican Spoiler, Renegade Jew” and the section devoted just to “Black on Black Crime.”

But I know that didn’t happen. 

He lied through his teeth and Charlie Rose let him get away with it.

It’s not just because of a few clues or some dog whistle headlines that prove Bannon’s a white nationalist.

The proof lies in his own emails.

Emails uncovered by BuzzFeed show Bannon’s collaboration with Yiannopoulos as he courted known white nationalist Devin Saucier, neo-Nazi Andrew “Weev” Auernheimer and Vox Day.

They give the clearest glimpse into a machine that knew exactly who and what ideology it wanted to support.

The white nationalists, neo-Nazis and racists that made up Yiannopoulos’s team were integral to Breitbart’s expansion and Bannon’s success. He knew they contributed ideas and stories and edited articles.

To avoid accusations of racism, Bannon edited Yiannopoulos’s work to hide overtly racist sentiments and tones.

Under Bannon’s watch, Breitbart did more than tolerate some of the most disgusting and vile voices in America, it thrived on them. 

He provided a messenger for them.

At no point did Bannon communicate about some great economic plan for America, he focused on culture wars and pandering to people who only care about the color of your skin.

Let’s stop pretending there’s any economics to his beliefs. 

It’s all nationalism.

And judging from what he’s said and allows, his nationalism is all white.