COLUMN: I did nothing for an hour, it was the greatest thing I've done all semester

elio-sante-mug

Nothing.

I thought of nothing.

For an hour, there was absolutely no thought in my head.

If you ask my dad he might tell you that’s how I always am. But this time it was different.

A few days ago, I sat at one of the tables in the courtyard of Anspach and Pearce halls and did nothing. I saw the ebb and flow of students as classes started and ended.

I didn’t look at my phone. I didn’t read a book. I didn’t talk to anyone. I didn’t have a single thought.

I sat and listened in silence.

The swell of noise as people rushed through the courtyard to get to their classes and the collapse of sound as I sat alone at the table was striking.

The contrast between the courtyard full of people compared to it being empty was night and day. I realized after four years here, I was just another person running to class. I never took time to appreciate the beauty of silence on campus.

I never noticed how the walkways between buildings make no sense in the directions they go. I never took time to look at the trees, the grass and buildings.

Finally taking the time to do nothing may be the most relaxing moment I’ve had at Central Michigan University.

After eight-and-a-half weeks of school, midterms and work, it was surreal how peaceful it was. Honestly, that hour was like pressing a reset button.

My stress went down. I received a boost of energy. My entire mood changed.

I went from overly pessimistic to feeling I could take on anything.

And that’s exactly what I did. I drove home, did my homework, wrote an entire paper, read a book and made dinner.

Ok, I didn’t make dinner. I ordered food. I’m lazy.

But still, I checked off everything on my to do list for the next two weeks. It felt amazing.

Sometimes stopping and doing nothing is the best thing we can do for ourselves. It’s a great way to slow down and have a moment of peace.

Seriously, this week, put your phone away, sit down and do nothing for as long as you need.

Try to think about nothing — don’t worry about classes, work or exams.

The constant monotony of waking up and repeating the same thing day-after-day is draining.

Take time for you. Slowing down and doing nothing may be the best thing we can do.

I’m sure for some it might be.