Great Lakes Science in Action Symposium to take place in Biosciences Building Oct. 20

19293_logot

Central Michigan University's engineering and technology department will host the Fourth Annual Great Lakes Science in Action Symposium 8:30 a.m., Friday, Oct. 20th, in the Biosciences Building auditorium.

The symposium consists of two panels. The first panel will discuss current issues regarding Michigan's Great Lakes from state and federal-level perspectives. The second panel will focus on the state of Great Lakes science. The representatives on the panels include scientists, congressional leaders and lawmakers.

U.S. congressman John Moolenaar, R-Midland, will speak at the event.

“(Moolenaar) is a key supporter of funding for Great Lakes research initiatives,” said Jane Matty, acting dean of the College of Science and Engineering. “(He is) making sure the federal government follows through with the commitment to research and protect the Great Lakes because (the lakes) are such a big resource for so many reasons.”

Other guests include Donald Uzarki, director of the CMU Institute for Great Lakes Research, State Senator Darwin Booher, Senior Legislative Assistant Jordan Dickinson and others who will discuss research as funding efforts for Great Lakes science throughout the state of Michigan.

Attendance for the symposium is free and open to the public.

CMU is a recognized leader in studying the Great Lakes. There are 26 faculty members in the Institute for Great Lakes Research who also participate in research at Beaver Island.