Halftime BTN: Central Michigan 28, Ball State 6

amari-coleman-1

Senior defensive back Amari Coleman celebrates before the football game against the University of Rhode Island on Aug. 31 in Kelly / Shorts Stadium. 

Head coach John Bonamego said a point of emphasis for the Central Michigan football team was to run the football.

In the first half today, CMU out-rushed Ball State 125-40, and the halftime score resulted in a 28-6 CMU lead.

Sophomore running back Jonathan Ward had back-to-back 10-plus yard carries, with the second run being a 16-yard score to put CMU ahead 7-0 in the first drive. 

BSU was able to get something brewing on their third drive of the game, but CMU forced their drive to stall and it resulted in a Morgan Hagee 40-yard field goal to make the score 7-3.

CMU junior punter Jack Sheldon had just a 13-yard punt setting the Cardinals up for another Hagee field goal attempt, this one from 41 yards out, as CMU held onto a 7-6 lead early in the second quarter.

Then midway through the second quarter, senior tight end Tyler Conklin made his presence felt.

Transfer quarterback Shane Morris connected with Conklin for a 34-yard touchdown, giving CMU the 14-6 lead with 6:39 left in the first half.

After another BSU punt, senior wideout Corey Willis gave the Chippewas another explosive play.

Morris found Willis over the middle for a 31-yard touchdown reception to give CMU a 21-6 advantage, capping off a seven-play, 63-yard drive.

CMU’s special teams then made a play as sophomore Jerrod Davis blocked a punt and the Chippewas recovered on the BSU 12 yard line.

That play led to a 5-yard score for Ward and added to the Chippewa lead, making the score 28-6.

Morris completed 10-of-12 passes for 109 yards and two touchdowns.

Ward and sophomore tailback Romello Ross combined for 110 yards and two scores.

Here’s a look at the first half by the numbers.

Passing Yards: CMU 109, BSU 92

Rushing Yards: CMU 125, BSU 40

Total Yards: CMU 234, BSU 132

Penalties-Yards: CMU 1-10, BSU 1-10

First Downs: CMU 12, BSU 7 

Turnovers: CMU 0, BSU 0

Highlight of the Half: Morris scanned the field and found Conklin up the middle. Conklin went up and over his defender to catch the ball for a 34-yard touchdown catch, his fourth score in three games.