McNair Scholars to present posters Oct. 27

19293_logot

McNair Scholars will present their research to Central Michigan University students at 11 a.m., Oct. 27 in the Charles V. Park Library Corridor. 

The scholars will present posters that outline their findings from ongoing research. Research topics include E. Coli in water, the effects General Motors has on Flint and the mental health of American Indians.

The McNair Scholars Program is a federal TRiO program – meaning it is designed to help individuals from disadvantaged and underrepresented backgrounds pursue a doctorate in a field of their choosing. The program was named after astronaut Ronald McNair, who died in the 1986 Challenger spacecraft disaster.

Every McNair Scholar is assisted by a CMU faculty member, who help them develop research topics and present their research around the country. Over the summer, the scholars and their mentors continued researching, which led to a research paper written for each topic.

“The students in the McNair program will have the opportunity to talk to the public one-on-one about their research,” said Kim Whitney, program assistant for the CMU chapter of the McNair Program.

Whitney also said that this will serve as practice for showcasing work at presentations and conferences.