Seven overtime victory keeps Western Michigan atop MAC West

brockman-fbapp-2
Senior wide receiver Mark Chapman catches a pass during the football game against Miami Ohio on Sept. 23 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

After a FBS record-tying seven overtimes and a record-breaking 139 total points to declare a winner, Western Michigan came out on top of the 71-68 thriller against Buffalo in Mid-American Conference action on Saturday.

Running back Jarvion Franklin scored on a 12-yard run to cap off the highlight Mid-American Conference game of the weekend.

For the first time this season, every conference team in action played against another MAC opponent. 

MAC West

WMU 71, Buffalo 68

The Broncos (4-2, 2-0 MAC) held their top spot in West division standings.

After Buffalo (3-3, 1-1) kicked a field goal in the first period of the seventh overtime, WMU scored in the next four plays to win the game.

WMU special team's missed opportunities prolonged the contest. 

WMU kicker Josh Grant had a 52-yard field goal attempt blocked at the end of regulation which would've won the game, then proceeded to not capitalize on a Buffalo fumble in the third overtime by missing a 29-yard field goal on the following possession for the Broncos.

Bronco quarterback Jon Wassink threw five touchdown passes and Franklin ran for 176 yards and three scores to guide WMU to a win.

Toledo 20, EMU 15

Khalil Robinson’s two late game interceptions helped seal the game for the Rockets (4-1, 1-0) and earn their first conference win of the 2017 campaign.

Shakif Seymour and Art Thompkins both scored a touchdown and combined for 149 rushing yards to lead the Toledo offense.

EMU (2-3, 0-2) quarterback Brogan Roback completed 23-of-39 passes for 226 yards and two touchdowns, but his two interceptions were costly late in the game. 

The loss has EMU tied at the bottom of the West division with Ball State.

Akron 31, Ball State 3

Akron (3-3, 2-0) quarterback Thomas Woodson completed 17-of-30 passes for 211 yards and two scores, while John Lako had a 35-yard interception return for a touchdown to lead Akron past BSU.

In the final three quarters of the game, Akron scored 24 unanswered points. 

Ball State (2-4) turned the ball over three times. All three turnovers were interceptions off the hands of quarterback Jack Milas.

Northern Illinois 24, Kent State 3

NIU (3-2, 1-0) only allowed the Golden Flashes to produce 131 yards of total offense and three points, helping them breeze by KSU.

Huskies quarterback Marcus Childres completed 13-of-21 passes for 114 yards and three touchdowns to lead the NIU offensive attack.

KSU’s (1-5, 0-2) Dustin Crum struggled to get things going through the air, completing just 2-of-4 passes for 15 yards and an interception.

CMU 26, Ohio 23

Senior tight end Tyler Conklin returned from injury and had a career day. He caught 10 passes for 136 yards and two touchdowns to help secure the victory for the Chippewas.

Transfer quarterback Shane Morris completed 25-of-25 passes for 249 yards and a pair of scores. He led the CMU offense to three-straight first down completions on the final drive of the game.

CMU’s defense forced four turnovers and sophomore Sean Bunting returned a blocked field goal for a 60-yard touchdown at the end of the first half.

CMU (3-3, 1-1) snapped a three-game losing streak and evened up their overall and conference record. 

MAC East

Bowling Green 37, Miami (OH) 29